Friday, July 11, 2014

Hate


Hate.  Even the way that word looks is ugly.  There's nothing pretty or good about "hate".  I remember commenting about something in class by saying, "I hate it when that happens," and one of my students interrupted with, "Hate is a very strong word".  I guess the student became the teacher that day because, since then, I've tried not to use that word to describe how I feel.  This is easier said than done if I watch the evening news.  Hate, along with a side of greed, are the daily specials on most networks, which brings me to my original thought for today's post: the Jewish vs. Palestinian issue.  With Christ living in my heart, I have compassion for both sides, after all, God says to, "Love your neighbor as yourself" (Luke 10:27).  If only we could actually do that.  Can you imagine what a different world this would be?  

Getting back to the problems in the Middle East, read what God said to Abraham in Genesis 12:2-4, "I will cause you to become the father of a great nation.  I will bless you and make you famous, and I will make you a blessing to others.  I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you.  All the families of the earth will be blessed through you."  Wow!  It's quite clear that God is not happy with us when we complain about our Jewish neighbors.  I don't know about you, but I definitely choose to be blessed, not cursed.  I take this seriously.  Abraham is referred to many times in the Bible.  One more reference worth mentioning is at the end of Romans 4:16.  It says, "For Abraham is the father of all who believe."  If you are a Christian, I hope you are praying for your Jewish brothers and sisters.  You can see what hate does to those who hate; be blessed for being one who blesses.


No comments:

Post a Comment