Tuesday, September 16, 2014

End of Summer



42 degrees?  It's only the 17th of September!  Here, in South Haven, Michigan, it hardly feels as though we've had a summer season, and now fall is beginning early.  Sure, we had a good share of beautiful days and a few really hot ones, but it all went by so fast.  Last winter had been categorized in most of my neighbor's descriptions as "extreme".  The length of the season was longer than usual.  The temperatures were colder, winds were stronger, and the amount of snowfall was unbelievable!  So, yes, I'm a little bit miffed that I couldn't sleep with the windows open last night, and I miss listening to the sounds of birds and squirrels this morning.  

As I sit here, trying to figure a way out of this end-of-summer funk, I'm coming to the realization that the blame for my mood goes more to myself than to the temperatures.  Looking back, I didn't take advantage of the few hot days we were blessed with.  In my semi-old age (Oh, dear, another blame game), instead of donning my bathing suit and jumping into the great Lake Michigan waters, I think I recall escaping the heat by turning on my air-conditioner.  Only a few times did I pack my beach umbrella and set up camp in the sand.  Hmmmm, that's too bad.

Okay, as usual, seeing my thoughts in writing forces me to also see the truth.  The choices we make are ours, and we must take ownership of them.  Rather than blaming others (or nature), we should think back on how we handled situations and on what we did with what we were given.  

Lesson learned.  I will put my coat on with a smile, think positively about the possibility of a few more warm days, and when they do come, I will choose to use them well.


No comments:

Post a Comment