Thursday, February 27, 2014

Winter Escape

It's nine degrees outside, a veritable heatwave compared to this morning's minus three.  Still, the idea of leaving the house evades me.  As much as I would love to venture out of my current state of cabin fever, the warmth of my home calls me back to reality.  I'm amazed at how comfortable our one hundred and twelve year-old house feels during this windchill record-breaking winter.  Actually, there is one tiny room that, when the door is closed, is rather toasty.  It's the bathroom, and it's on the second floor, in the middle of the landing.

With summer oldies playing on my radio, beach glass and sand photos on the walls, and the door shut tight to keep the heat from escaping, this half-bath has become a place to linger, especially now.  Before yesterday, there were no windows in my heated hide-away and no way to put one in, until my husband and I thought "out of the box".  Box describes it well, with dimensions of 5' x 5', this little oasis needed a way to seem less cramped.  We had noticed an old door in the garage that may have been the back door to our house decades ago.  It has a large window on the top half.  Would it fit upstairs?  Would it look silly?  Well, to make a long story short, we trimmed a couple of inches off the door, cleaned and painted it, and added a latch.  With a pull-down shade attached to the inside, above the window, there is privacy when closed and the illusion of more space and additional light when open.  The yellow paint on the door makes the room  appear warmer, too, and it doesn't look a bit funny, just sunny.

According to the radio, it is now ten degrees outside, and I don't even care.  I'm brushing my teeth, and you know where.  
No, the window doesn't look like this, but it is made out of glass, so this photo was a good choice for today.  It's called, "Sea Glass with Poster Edges".

No comments:

Post a Comment