Thursday, June 26, 2014

I Don't Speak Geek (I wish I could.)

My computer is having a good day; yesterday, it wasn't.  There's no set pattern for the sudden "Ping!" and consequent loss of cursor control.  Right now, my trusty Toshiba is working at warp speed, but when I needed it last night, that dreaded sound meant that, whether I liked it or not, I was done.  I've had this laptop for seven years with not a single problem, and I feel like I'm losing a best friend.  To make matters worse, I don't speak geek.  On the phone, with technical support, most of their attempts to answer my questions required my ability to answer their questions first.  Well, that didn't happen.  Frustrated, and a little embarrassed by my obvious  lack of understanding over the phone, I attempted the dot-com for a live chat on line with the Geek Squad.  "Great looking site", I thought to myself, but then another window appeared that told me to disable the protection I have against pop-ups.  Knowing that my computer could shut down at any time, the stress of working under duress clouded my problem-solving abilities, and I could not, for the life of me, find what I needed to enable the chat to ensue.  So if you come back next week, and there is no new post, you'll know that my computer took its final dive.  For my blog to resurface, I'll need a lot of help transferring old files onto a new laptop; it could take a while.   Don't give up on me, okay?

"Beach Beauties" is the name of this long lost "oldie but goody".  I will have new pictures if the sun will ever shine again.  We've been under a lot of fog lately.  Oh, well.  I'm just thankful my laptop was able to hang in there one last time.


No comments:

Post a Comment