Thursday, May 29, 2014

Peace

At three in the morning it was hard to tell what my grandson was saying in the other twin bed across the room.  Thanks to the nightlight, I could see him sitting up doing super hero karate chops, but when I went over to him, I noticed his eyes were closed.  In typical granny fashion, I kissed his forehead and intended to lay him back down, then it began.  The fright.  The stay calm, but go-into-emergency-mode.  Turn on the lights, grab the thermometer, and again, stay calm.  Hurry up and beep.  Okay, there it is, the sound that means it's ready.  I took the thermometer out from under Aydn's arm.  103.4...........where's the children's Motrin?  Got it.  "You need to take this, Honey."  With eyes still closed, "No, it's yucky."  Grab the phone.  His momma will be right over.  "Take his pajamas off, and keep trying the medicine," she said.  

Aydn's skin was so hot to the touch, that I was ashamed for not thinking of removing his sleepwear.  Praying, "Please, God, make him take his medicine," I didn't want to fail him again; there was too much at stake.  Instead of complying, though, my precious six-year-old grandson started crying and shivering as he said, "I think my head hurts because I'm growing so fast."  "Oh, my little punkin, take your medicine."

That was quite a night.  Thankfully, my daughter-in-law arrived within five minutes of hanging up the phone.  She was successful with the medicine.  My part was done.  Or was it?  Even though I had proven to be out of practice in the realm of sick-child care, I knew that my real job had just begun.  Ephesians 6:16 says, "In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the arrows aimed at you by the evil one."  I desperately needed a shield to stop the arrows of fear and worry that were penetrating my heart to the point of actual pain.  No doubt, my son and his wife needed the same, and Aydn needed a shield against getting worse. 

Opening my Bible, I prayed that God would show me where to go in His Word.  I was looking for comfort that would build my faith, and I found it in Psalm 128, the second part of verse three, and then verse four:  "And look at all those children!  There they sit around your table as vigorous and healthy as young olive trees.  That is the reward for those who fear (revere) Him."  

What more can I say?  Aydn is back at school today.  God is good.  I chose to put this week's photo before the story because it has a peaceful look about it, and faith leads to peace.  

Peace, there's nothing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment