Thursday, November 7, 2013

Phoenix Street Cafe---More Than Meets the Eye

If you've ever traveled to South Haven, Michigan, I hope you had the chance to dine at Phoenix Street Cafe.  If you haven't, I hope you will.  You may be thinking I'm offering free advertising because of the delicious food and friendly service, but you're wrong.  While those are true critiques, my motive for writing about this lovely restaurant rests in my knowledge of its owners, the Marcoux family.  You see, beginning in November, and throughout the winter, these special people provide dinner, with dessert, for the less fortunate citizens of our town, every Thursday night.  They actually go through all the steps of preparing the food, packing it up, and taking it to the First Congregational Church, for free.  It's called the "Phoenix Street Supper".  Various community members do the greeting, serving, and clean-up, and are also allowed to partake in the evening's fare, because the amount of food donated is so generous.  There is a lot of food, and the menu is never the same.  Tonight we served baked chicken, mashed garlic potatoes, green beans, salad, dinner rolls, and brownies.  The church provides the beverages and decorated tables, so kudos to those fine people, as well.

The townspeople of South Haven are blessed to have the Marcoux family.  They set the bar pretty high for other business owners here, and I can honestly say that there are some who follow suit.  Isn't it nice to see mankind in such a light?  May they be blessed.
The title of this photo is, "Mixed Sea Glass".   Pairing a picture to my post is getting more and more difficult, as I am down to just four compositions left that I haven't used, so this one is a bit of a stretch.  I chose it because we served mixed greens in the salad tonight.  (Oh, brother.)

No comments:

Post a Comment