Friday, November 8, 2013

Stuffing Stuff

Up the stairs, down the stairs.  Up the stairs, down the stairs.  Up to my "office", down to the toaster.  Not being the best manager of time and multitasking, I've paired making homemade stuffing with writing today's post.  Yes, I'm aware of the availability of bread cubes in bags, ready to dump into a pan, but I've always thought my mom's recipe, with stale toast torn into pieces, tasted so much better.  Sure, it takes a long time to toast enough bread for 10 guests-worth of dressing, especially with a two-piece toaster, but I'm making it a day ahead.  As I looked online to see if my end product would be just as good made early, as it would if made the same day, I noticed something.  My mom's recipe is different from everything else I saw.  I know it was her mother's recipe, and it makes me curious as to the origin of it all.  Instead of using broth, Mom's recipe calls for milk.  So there's no broth, and also, no eggs.  It's just butter, onion, celery, sage, salt, pepper, torn toast, and milk.  I've been making it for years and didn't even know it was unique.  At this stage in my life, that matters to me.  It's comforting to think how, with a passed down recipe, my family's families will be enjoying the same flavors upon their taste buds as our ancestors did.
Named, "September Jewels", I chose this photo because, to me, an old family recipe is, indeed, a jewel.

No comments:

Post a Comment