Monday, August 12, 2013

Healthier Joes

After watching the last few minutes of a nutrition segment on PBS, I had a rethink about tonight's sloppy joes.  Apparently, onions and mushrooms are the new super heroes against heart disease and just about everything else that gets worse as we age.  Okay, I usually put onions in the joes anyway; I'll just double them.  Next, I guess I'll throw some sliced mushrooms in there.  Not being a fan of turkey burger, I'll try doing a half turkey, half beef mixture.  (Although, as a side note, I've gotta say that my dad lives on turkey products, and at age 77, he still goes to the gym.)  If all goes well, I'll work my way to 100% turkey burger when I make this concoction again.

Well, the last thing I would call myself would be a "cook", but after simmering the above ingredients, along with some ketchup, chili powder, a little mustard, water,  aged white balsamic vinegar, and some salt and pepper,  my healthier version of an old stand-by tastes pretty good.  And, no, I didn't use organic ketchup or vege's, but I did drain the grease.  Baby steps.


Back in 2011, I named this, "Sea Glass Salad". 

No comments:

Post a Comment