Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mushy Green Beans

Do you like green beans?  Probably not as much as I do.  The farmers' market is open today, and I'm excited to get as many fresh green beans as I can carry on my walk home.  Then I'm going to cook them the way I had them as a kid, simmered for a long time in a big pot with bacon and potatoes.  Yes, that makes them a little mushy, but their flavor is still better than what any upscale restaurant usually offers.  Leaving the beans unsnapped and cooking them just slightly in olive oil may turn out a product that is visually pleasing, but if I want my green beans crispy, I'll just eat them raw!  Besides, summer isn't summer without some time spent "snapping" green beans.  As I spell it out, though, it sounds a little silly; I realize some younger folks may not even know what I mean by snapping green beans.  Put simply, when I sit outside with a bowl full of beans on my lap, as I snap them into smaller pieces, it adds another dimension to the words "comfort food".  The comfort comes from the prep time rather than the actual eating time.  It takes me back to the past, and I feel young again.  Besides, have you ever not liked something made with bacon in it? 


"Blue and Green Sea Glass", just like bacon and green beans (well, okay, not really).

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh--comparing sea glass to green beans. I married a southern boy and his mama still makes green beans the way you do. We so love them. And I love plundering the farmers markets at this time of year. Got the beets simmering on the stove right now....

    ReplyDelete