Monday, September 23, 2013

Stop and Smell the Toaster

There's a reason why people say, "Stop and smell the roses", and we all know what it is; we are just too darn busy.  Think about it.  If a garden of fully bloomed roses is along your path, but you, sadly, don't stop to take a sniff, you are in too much of a hurry.  Well, it's that time of year when the roses are done testing our priorities, but I failed a test of a different kind today.  As I rushed through my morning's list of things to do and places to go, I forgot one of my favorite sensory pleasures.  I forgot to smell the toaster.  Yes, I admit that sounds a bit strange, but I happen to get a little giddy when I close my eyes on a cold fall morning and stick my nose over my toaster just before the toast pops up.  It warms me, and the scent reminds me of the simpler times before microwaves and yogurt.  Back then, we could slather our golden brown carbs with real butter, and no one would think twice about it.  Remember how it was to eat without having to follow all kinds of rules?  Oh, those were the days!  So when I noticed that I had forgotten to do the one thing that takes me down that memory road, I knew I couldn't miss it tomorrow, and I won't. 


This is really stretching it, but here goes.  My photo is called, "Pop Bottom", and toast "pops" up.  (It's been a long day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment