Friday, September 27, 2013

The Unknown

Sometimes, you've gotta just roll with it.  We don't always know the reasons for things that happen; in fact, we rarely know.  Today, when the plumber left, the leaky faucet began leaking more than it had before the repairs.  My post wasn't started, and I was needed at church to clean up the rummage sale left-overs.  With tomorrow being a Saturday, I had no choice but to call the plumber back.  Why did this have to happen?  

Fast forward to now.  The leak was caused by a faulty new seal, and is a thing of the past.  I'm able to sit and write this post with a full 45 minutes until I have to leave.  The slight delay in my agenda takes me back to another time when I actually saw the reason for my departure being put on hold.  About seven years ago, I was in a hurry to get home from choir practice.  It had been a long day of teaching, then church, and it was getting dark outside.  As I was gathering up my things to leave the choir loft, a friend asked me to give her a ride home.  She had locked her keys in the car.  There was no way that I would have said no, so I took her home.  She thanked me, said her husband would take her back for her car, and I was off.  Not more than two minutes later, I saw the reason for God holding me back.  A car full of teenagers had crossed into the lane I would have been in, rolled over, and was upside down with broken glass everywhere.  I would never have seen them coming, as that spot is on a curve. The car was totaled, but the kids spent only a little time in the hospital. How much worse it would have been with more momentum coming their way!  Had they hit me, they might not have been pulled out safely.  I thanked God for the delay that night.  Perhaps, instead of being upset when we are forced to wait and be late, we should be grateful for protection from the unknown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment