Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The List Game

Thank God, yesterday's situations are looking better, and I can now begin to work on my list of 17 items.  None of these are typical everyday things to do, so naturally, if I were to include tasks from my daily routine, the list would be a mile longer.  That's okay.  The very act of having a list, on an actual piece of paper, written with a pen and not a keyboard, clears my head.  The list becomes a game.  If you are someone who keeps such a list, then you know that to win "the game", you have to have as many items crossed off, by the end of the day, as possible.   More likely than not, though, unexpected interruptions will occur.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  These jobs are usually a product of answering your phone or of a sudden memory burst regarding something you had forgotten to put on your calendar, so you add them to your list.  Now, here is where the everyday tasks come in.  After all, the list is a game of percentages, and even though this may sound a tad OCD, try doing what I do.  On long list days, whenever you finish something, no matter how small, add it to your list, and draw a box next to it; fill that box with a great big "X".  If you're like me, it wasn't originally on the list, because it's part of your routine, and you didn't need to be reminded, but the feeling of having more things done will be reached a whole lot sooner if you include them all.  Oh, and on really big jobs, why not give them two or three X's?


This photo is called, "Lost in Sea Glass".  It's the closest I could come to for today's post, in that I hope you don't get "lost" in your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment