Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Apple Cider Swim

If you've been following my blog, welcome back to another oddly titled post.  This time, though, I had some help.  My grandson had witnessed the drowning of a bee today, and as he spoke about it, I wrote down what he said, thinking it would make a good story.  Hmmm.......do I have any idea where I put that little piece of paper?  No, of course not, because it happened just a few hours ago instead of a few years ago.  Is that how it is for you, too?  The short term memory is a thing of the past; long term is as good as ever!  Anyway, I'm sure the second word was "swim", but not sure if the first word was "apple" or "cider".  I'll just use all three words.  Either way, I'll bet you get the picture.  This is that lovely time of year when everyone enjoys a glass of cider with their doughnuts.  It's especially nice to have such a treat outside with the changing fall colors.  I was quite proud of my grandson when he remained calm as the uninvited guest, of the stinger kind, began to fly around the cup of his cider.  We all watched as the bee rested on the rim, tipped over, and fell into the drink.  The fall didn't look intentional, like a dive or anything.  Puzzled and sympathetic, we watched the bee struggle a bit, then stop.  Not sure if the little creature was just tired or the "d" word, I dumped the tainted cider onto the lawn.  I'd like to say that we all watched the emptied contents for any signs of recovery, but we didn't.  I was too busy looking for a pencil and paper to write down my grandson's title idea.  The "apple cider swim" was his innocent recollection of events.  He didn't dwell on, and maybe, didn't realize the bee's fatal ending, and that, to me, is worth writing about.



This photo is called, "Sinking Heart" and goes well with today's bee ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment