Thursday, October 24, 2013

Furnace vs. Space Heaters

Where I live, natural gas for home-heating is much cheaper than using electric space heaters.  So why is this a matter of debate?  Maybe it isn't for you and yours, but for my husband and myself, it's constantly the subject of disagreement.  One of us feels that the only rooms that should be heated are the ones currently occupied, meaning, heat one or two rooms with space heaters while the rest of the house is cold.  The other believes in running the gas furnace at a reasonable temperature, deeming the space heaters unnecessary.  One way, less space heated means there is less money spent.  The other, while more space is heated, the actual cost is just a little more than the two room theory.  Plus, there's the added bonus of comfort, no matter where we go in the house.  I'm not going to say which preference is mine.  I'm not trying to be the "winner".  As usual, I'm just curious to know if anyone out there has the same discussion as often as we do.  If you have found an answer to the furnace vs. space heater dilemma, I'm open to suggestions and would love to hear from you.  Tomorrow's debate:  cool beans vs. warm ones.

"Stripes and Crystals" caught my attention for today's post, because I don't want to see any crystals forming on my windows!  Stay warm.

2 comments:

  1. I heat the whole house with the furnace, but hang an insulated curtain at the bottom of our stairway in the winter. That way the downstairs heat doesn't all float upstairs, making the furnace run more often. I do have a space heater in the bathroom for shower time. Life is short. Be warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I couldn't agree more! Thanks for the advice, and have a warm, safe Halloween:)

      Delete