Thursday, October 17, 2013

Too Late

If you are a school teacher, you know how true it is that teachers have a special bond with one another.  In fact, most people who have retired from teaching continue meeting with their colleagues on a regular basis for the rest of their lives.  My school friends meet for lunch or dinner at least once a month.  Lately, they've added a breakfast, too.  The problem is, I haven't attended any of them since my husband and I moved away to a different town.  The drive would only be about an hour and a half long, but there is always a conflict with my schedule.  As time goes by, I feel less inclined to make the effort of putting one more thing on my calendar, but today the remorse of my lack of action is weighing heavily upon my heart.  Today, I was told of the passing away of one of our friends from my earlier years of teaching.  Until her illness, she hardly ever missed a gathering.  She had a warm, welcoming smile, no matter how she felt.  Now, she's gone, and even if I promise to attend the next luncheon, she won't be there.  I'm too late.  I've got to change.  One by one, our group will continue to grow smaller, and I don't want to be late again.

One of my favorite memories of my friend is when she came back from a trip, she brought shells for all of us at school.  This picture is called, "One Lonely Shell".

No comments:

Post a Comment